Sun Basket, Meal Prep Service Review by a Busy Mom & Wife
I’m joining the masses by saying I am in love with Sun Basket (it was consistently ranked #1 when I researched meal prep services to try). I’ve tried 2 meal prep services at this point and Sun Basket is by far my favorite. Why? I’ll tell you.
- Ample Assortment – easy to select from meals with dietary restrictions (aka dairy free, gluten free, soy free and no pork) & the variety of meals each week is excellent.
- Ease of Prep – truly, having all of the ingredients in 1 bag for you, pre-measured is amazing and a time saver. I could kick-out fresh / gourmet meals in less than 30 minutes and it wasn’t stressful at all. Most of them are 1-dish / bowl / 1- knife & cutting board meals too, which I really appreciate regarding minimal clean-up.
- More than Meals – they have a HUGE assortment of add-ons which I loved. We tried their Artichoke Romesco sauce and Spinach Artichoke dip (dairy free) and both were SO good!
- Quality of meat and produce is excellent – almost everything is organic.
- Recipes – You receive a booklet of recipes, not just for your own meals but the others available for that timeframe. I love this, as I can use them on my own in the future. They’re beautifully written with gorgeous photography.
I have only 3 hang-ups with this meal service and the other one (Hello Fresh) I have tried:
- Waste – despite the fact that everything is either recyclable / repurposed materials etc, it feels like so much waste for just 3 meals being shipped.
- Portions – the portions are fine for dinner but my husband likes to take leftovers to work for lunch…with these services, in order to have leftovers, you would need to order the 4-person meals which seems excessive.
- Sides – I typically have 1 vegetable side and 1 complex-carbohydrate as a side. With this meal service, you only get 1 or the other (of course you can add-on).
All-in-all, if you are a decent cook but are constantly pressed for time but want a “from-scratch” dinner every night, I think Sun Basket is an excellent option to select! Comment here if you would like my $40 off your first basket code, that is an excellent savings to take advantage of! My first order with 2 meals (one was canceled due to the excessive heat wave that was happening) was only $31; my second “real” order with 3 meals was $84, which seems pretty pricey to me, when I still need to do the work / clean up etc and it only feeds 2 of us…just my opinion 😉
I have learned that if I did do some “assembly” prep before the week starts, that I could save myself some time and stress on the actual night I’m cooking 😉 maybe I’ll even buy some brown paper bags to keep it all together and make it feel special!